Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ballerina Girl, You Are So Lovely

This past Friday, Reese let me tag along with him to the mall to take shots of the Hawaii State Ballet performing on Ala Moana's Centerstage.  It would be my first time shooting action with a flash.  I must admit, the first 5 minutes were really hard.  The shots I took were blurry and I couldn't quite get the all the girls in my frame.  I was just snapping shots left and right, hoping that some would turn out decent.  Well, apparently, that didn't work.  What I ended up doing after those frustrating 5 minutes was I started to follow the ballerinas through the eyepiece.  I listened to the music, selected one particular subject to follow and waited for a jump or a twirl BEFORE I snapped the picture.  The results, much better!  


What I gained from this outing:  Photography isn't just about pushing a button to take a picture.  Photography requires patience, quick thinking and the ability to make adjustments.  It was a great lesson.


ISO 400, 100mm, f/4.5, shutter 1/200

ISO 400, 200mm, f/5.6, shutter 1/160

ISO 400, 180mm, f/5.6, shutter 1/160

ISO 400, 50mm, f/4, shutter 1/200

4 comments:

  1. Very Nice! This is quite an accomplishment for your first time using an external flash. Nice action photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I credit everything I know to my awesome teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. how did you manage to change your settings and shoot so fast?!!??! I give you props! The girl w/ the "Store" shot is sharp! Nice!..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't recall changing my settings very much that night. I just remember Reese telling me, if you use flash, shoot on "S" and don't go past 1/200 for shutter speed (which my camera wouldn't allow anyway) and keep the ISO at 400. So really, the only thing I got to adjust was the flash's EV.

    ReplyDelete