Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hey There Delilah

Sometime last fall, Hawaiian Airlines announced that they would be starting direct service from Hawaii to NYC in June 2012. Fares were dirt cheap...$212 each way! The direct flight to NYC from Hawaii was 9.5 hours long! That's as long as it takes to fly from Hawaii to Australia! The flight over was brutal! It left at 3pm Hawaii time and got into NYC at 7am EST, which is 1am in Hawaii. It took me about 3 or 4 nights to get adjusted to the 6-hour time difference, but even then, I still went to bed about 2 or 3am each night. The flight home was not so bad. Though it took a little more than 10 hours to get back to Hawaii, the ride seemed much faster...probably because I slept a lot on the plane and was excited to come home! 


A part of the reason why I bought a DSLR was so I could capture great photos during this trip.  That's why for the last 6 weeks, Reese and I had camera class every day during lunch. The first day of photographing NYC was hard on my own.  My photos weren't coming out the way I wanted them to, but I couldn't quite figure out how to fix them. Each day I sent samples of my photos to Reese to ask him what he thought of them. He would make suggestions on how I could improve my photos and as each day went by, I saw improvements...he did too! See Reese, all that money we spent eating out every day was worth it.  :)


I saw so many marvelous things in 9 days and took over 1,800 photos! I'm not sure how long it will take me to sort thru them all, but I didn't want to wait to share a few of the fantastic things I saw in NYC. 

FDNY Bronze Memorial
ISO 100, f/8, shutter 1/15

Metropolitan Museum of Art
ISO 100, f/5, shutter 1/250

View of the Empire State Building from the top of Rockefeller Center
ISO 200, f/4, shutter 1/50

The "new" Yankee Stadium
ISO 800, f/6.3, shutter 1/400

View of the Trump Building (green copper roof) from Hudson Bay
ISO 100, f/8, shutter 1/125

Ellis Island
ISO 100, f/8, shutter 1/160

Statue of Liberty
ISO 100, f/8, shutter 1/400

4 comments:

  1. Great shots! You learned well grasshopper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really really nice - Reese taught you very well. I love your composition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, folks! Yes, Reese deserves a lot of credit for getting me so far in just 6 weeks! I used just about every technique he taught me. You'll be able to see in the other blog posts to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo of Empire bldg is like a postcard!! I really like the vibrant colors of the buildings. Great Trip Photos!

    ReplyDelete