Thursday, July 12, 2012

What Hurts the Most

About 2 years ago, I woke up with a backache that lasted almost 1 week. Later, that turned into sciatica which lasted 9 months! It was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. The pain extended from the hip and down the back of the thigh and surrounding areas. 


Sciatica usually occurs when something is irritating the sciatic nerve.  For instance, you may have a slipped disc in the vertebrae, swelling that may be pushing on the nerve or even tweak a muscle that pinches the nerve. 


Anyway, today I woke up with a slight backache which later in the afternoon was so painful that I couldn't stand up straight. I wasted no time and went to see the acupunturist who cured my first bout of sciatica.

This acupuncturist doesn't take appointments.  I had to wait 30 minutes.

Not only is he an acupunturist, he is also a Chinese herbalist.

Watch out!

Rows and rows of herbs!

Do I REALLY want to know?  

This is a machine they attach to the acupuncture needles.  It sends little pulses of electric current down the needle to give you what is similar to a deep tissue massage, only much deeper.  I like it cranked up!  It's a good kind of "pain".

I'm still hurting, but at least I am able to stand more upright and be mobile right away...unlike this afternoon where I had to get up and wait a couple of minutes to allow my back to straighten out before I could move.

4 comments:

  1. Cool shots! That machine looks scary. I am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I hope I get back to 100% fast! BTW, the machine is your friend! :)

      Delete
  2. That machine looks more like a torture machine..That guillotine cutter thing is cool! Hmm.. Hello, My Name is... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm more afraid of the guillotine than the machine. I know...those labels crack me up! I'm glad someone else noticed them besides me. :)

      Delete