Saturday, September 8, 2012

Blue Moon

A blue moon isn't visually blue. It happens every two or three years and occurs because the lunar months are not synced up perfectly with our calendar months. It takes the moon 29.5 days to orbit the Earth. Since every calendar month (except February) has 30 or 31 days, occasionally two full moons occur in a single month. The next blue moon will not occur until 2015! That's why the phrase "once in a blue moon" suggests a rare occurrence.

Below is a picture I captured of a blue moon on August 31st, which also coincided with the Friday Hilton Fireworks Show. Reese and I decided to photograph the fireworks from a different perspective.  We tried to get as close as possible to the fireworks as the event staff would let us.  Since my camera is not a full frame one, I was unable to capture the fireworks from the ground up from where we were standing.  However, we were so close that we could "feel" the booms from the fireworks as they were shot up in the sky.  It was pretty cool!  :D

ISO 100, f/8, shutter 1/200

ISO 100, f/8, shutter 1 second

ISO 100, f/8, shutter 2 seconds

ISO 100, f/8, shutter 3.1 seconds

ISO 100, f/8, shutter 1.6 seconds


3 comments:

  1. Oh no, the next blue moon won't be until 2015! Very good shot of it.

    Terrific fireworks!!! Thank u so much for your camera settings, I am learning from you ÷)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice closeup perspectives.. the fireworks look like coconut trees! very vibant colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see the blue. So, why do they call it a blue moon? Nice fireworks shots!

    ReplyDelete