Sunday, August 12, 2012

(Don't Go Chasing) Waterfalls

In my last post, I demonstrated one of the two uses for a ND filter. Last week I was able to actually try out its other use - enabling a slow shutter speed to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls and streams. 

These photos were taken at Lili'uokalani Botanical Garden in the Nuuanu/Liliha area. Even though the the garden is surrounded by apartment complexes, hospitals, schools and homes, I wouldn't recommend venturing there alone...especially if you're a female. Luckily, Reese was available for bodyguard services that day...haha.  

In order to take these long exposure photos at 3pm when the sun was still very high,  I used the smallest aperture and lowest ISO possible. Along with my ND filter, I used a polarizer to further decrease the amount of light coming in.  I also played around with the shutter speed to get the "silkiness" I was trying for. 

ISO 100, -1.7 EV, f/22, shutter 5 seconds with ND filter & polarizer

ISO 100, -1.7 EV, f/22, shutter 5 seconds without ND filter & polarizer

ISO 100, -1.7 EV, f/22, shutter 1/20
"Ordinary" snapshot (like you would take with a point & shoot camera)
ISO 100, -1.7 EV, f/22, shutter 6 seconds with ND filter & polarizer

ISO 100, -1.7 EV, f/22, shutter 6 seconds without ND filter & polarizer

I had a blast trying to capture the silky waterfall and stream. I'm amazed at what I could capture just by adding a few accessories and trying different settings on the camera. I *heart* photography!!!

3 comments:

  1. Beeeautiful!! I seriously need to get a ND filter and try this for myself..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophisticated! What a difference those accessories make. SM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto! I appreciate you sharing how you got your beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete